2019 SUMMER MEDITATION CAMPAIGN
June 16-August 25
Sponsored by Kadampa Meditation Center SF and local businesses – see updated list below.
Kick off event on Sunday, June 16 at 5pm with Gen Kelsang Khedrub in Dolores Park.
This Summer 2019 KMC San Francisco is working with local businesses to bring basic meditation and some peace of mind into a busy, thriving city life and to reach all neighborhoods and populations. Please join us for a 15-20 minute basic guided meditation suitable for everyone – regardless of background, nationality or religion.
Meditation helps us to find quiet, peace and kindness inside our own mind. With practice, we can find and settle into this peaceful state regardless of external conditions. Please enjoy simple meditation techniques to bring a little more inner peace and wisdom into what can often seem like a crazy and overstimulated world.
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org, (415) 503-1187
Confirmed locations include (but are not limited to): Dolores Park, Pentacle Cafe, Block Lockett Florist, Muddy Waters Cafe, African American Arts and Culture Complex, Corona Heights, Alta Vista Park, Golden Gate Park.
WHAT WILL THE SESSION CONSIST OF AND HOW LONG WILL IT BE?
The 20-30 minute session will by guided by one of our Kadampa Buddhist teachers and will include:
- Brief Introduction -meditation is a method to create peaceful states of mind – setting a good motivation
- Simple Guided Meditation – relaxing the body and focusing on the breath
- Conclusion – simple advice and encouragement on how to bring meditation experience into daily life
WHO CAN COME TO THE MEDITATION?
Everyone is welcome. Depending on location and space, we may request RSVPs.
IS THERE A COST?
DO I NEED TO WEAR ANYTHING SPECIAL?
Come as you are. At most locations, chairs will be available. Please check calendar for details.
INTERESTED IN HOSTING A POP-UP MEDITATION?
All that’s needed is some chairs and a space that can be somewhat quiet and undisturbed for about 20-30 minutes. Random noise from outside is no problem.
HOW WILL PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THE POP-UP MEDITATION?
We will make publicity that you can approve with all dates and venues. It will be posted on Instagram, Facebook, SF FunCheap, Eventbrite and Spingo. If you are willing and/or able to post or let people know in any way, that would be wonderful.
WHAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A PUBLIC SPACE AVAILABLE BUT ARE INTERESTED IN MEDITATIONS FOR OUR ORGANIZATION?
No problem, KMC SF can provide a meditation teacher for you. Please contact Judith Sweet at email@example.com.
ABOUT KMC SAN FRANCISCO
Kadampa Meditation Center San Francisco was established in 1991 by Ven. Geshe Kelsang Gyatso to provide people in the Bay Area with the opportunity to learn about and practice Buddha’s teachings. Our Center is dedicated to the attainment of world peace by offering everyone the opportunity to develop lasting mental peace through our retreats, drop-in meditation classes, group prayers and workshops. The teachings and guided meditations are suitable for every level of interest and are offered in a clear and practical manner, enabling us to develop peace of mind and find the happiness and meaning we long for.
OTHER OUTREACH ACTIVITIES:
1) Free lunchtime meditations Monday-Thursday at our main location in the Mission;
2) Meditation classes to inmates at San Bruno Men’s Jail and SF Women’s Jail, at A Woman’s Place homeless drop-in center, and at St. Francis Memorial Hospital;
3) In recent past, meditation classes at Atria Senior Housing, Agesong University Senior Housing, Tenderloin Boys and Girls Club, and the Bernal Heights Library.
4) Providing books on Buddhist teachings and meditations to inmates in jail and prisons around the country and the world who request them.
We are very interested in creating ties with local community organizations and welcome inquiries. Please email epc@MeditateInSanFrancisco.org or call (415) 503-1187.